You will need:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine plant milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes to curdle. This is your vegan buttermilk.
- Combine vegan buttermilk, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add to dry mixture and whisk until a thick, even batter has formed.
- Fill each cupcake liner with about 3 tbsp of batter (approximately 3/4 full). Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool, then decorate with your favorite vegan frosting!