These tofu nuggets are are a blast from the past! They're basically a healthier, cruelty-free version of those chicken nuggets we all loved to eat growing up. Plus, they're super easy to make! I served mine with a spicy hemp ranch sauce, which I will also include the recipe for below.
You will need...
For the nuggets:
- 7 oz extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the hemp ranch dip:
- 1/2 cup hulled hempseeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp gochujang or sriracha
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/3 cup plant milk
- 1-2 tbsp water for a thinner consistency (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice tofu into nugget-sized squares (about 1/4" thick).
- Prepare your dredging station: all purpose flour in one bowl, plant milk in the next bowl and an incorporated mixture of breadcrumbs, yeast, paprika, salt and pepper in the final bowl.
- Use one hand to coat each slice of tofu in the flour. Switch hands to dip the tofu into your plant milk. Finally, coat each slice in the breadcrumb mixture - this is best done with a fork to avoid messy/sticky hands!
- Place your tofu on a parchment-lined baking tray and bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the hemp ranch by adding all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blending on high for about 1 minute, or until creamy.
- Serve tofu nuggets warm with ranch dip, ketchup, mustard or any of your favorite sauces!