This recipe was inspired by Sweet Simple Vegan! My version is slightly different but I have linked the original recipe above as well. :)
You will need...
For the rolls:
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 packet (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup vegan butter + 1/4 cup for filling
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup sugar + 1/2 cup for filling
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour + more for rolling
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1 tbsp for filling
- pinch of ground black pepper
- spray oil
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk (or more, to desired consistency)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare the yeast by dissolving 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Add yeast and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, melt 1/3 cup vegan butter. Add almond milk, 1/3 cup sugar and sea salt. Stir to incorporate. Turn off heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, turmeric, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and ground black pepper. Add in yeast mixture and cooled vegan butter mixture. Use a spoon to combine all ingredients until an even, golden dough forms.
- Sprinkle a liberal amount of flour on a clean kitchen surface. Knead the dough until it is stretchy but no longer sticky to the touch.
- Coat the inside of a glass mixing bowl with spray oil. Place the dough inside it, making sure to roll it slightly to coat all sides with oil. Cover with a dish towel and set aside in a warm area for 1 hour to double in size.
- After 1 hour, place dough on to a clean, floured kitchen surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a large rectangle (approximately 20 x 15 inches).
- Brush one side with 1/4 cup softened vegan butter.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1 tbsp cinnamon. Sprinkle this over the buttered side of the flattened dough, leaving about 1/2-1 inch of space on all sides.
- Roll the dough snugly from the long end.
- Use a knife to cut 3/4 inch wide rolls. This recipe makes about 15.
- Place the rolls 1 inch apart from each other on a large, lightly greased oven-safe dish. Cover with a dish towel and place in a warm area to re-rise for another hour.
- After rolls have re-risen, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by combining confectioner's sugar, almond milk and vanilla extract. You may add more almond milk if necessary to reach the desired consistency.
- Allow cinnamon rolls to cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling glaze.