These vegan meatballs are perfect on top of spaghetti, in a sub or just on their own!
You will need:
- 8 oz extra firm tofu, patted dry
- 15 oz white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed + 3 tbsp cold water)
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- some water to blend (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz marinara sauce (or other pasta sauce of choice)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To a large blender add tofu, beans, flax egg, soy sauce, yeast, tomato paste, garlic, parsley and paprika. Blend on a high setting until smooth, adding a minimal amount of water (start with 1 tbsp) if necessary.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Stir the blended mixture into the breadcrumbs to form a thick dough.
- Roll 1-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking tray. You should have enough dough for about 20 meatballs.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- When the meatballs are ready, add marinara sauce to a large frying pan on medium low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer meatballs in sauce for about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
- Note: If you do not plan on eating the meatballs right away, hold off on the last step as they will absorb the sauce and become a bit soggy.