You will need:
- 1 loaf of French bread, sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil or vegan butter
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 or 5 large basil leaves, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil.
- Place slices oil side down on a large baking tray. Bake for about 7 minutes, or until golden brown on edges.
- While the bread is toasting, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Once boiling, turn off heat and place ripe tomatoes in hot water for 2 minutes. This will soften the tomatoes, allowing the peels to come off easily.
- Dice peeled tomatoes. Toss with minced garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil
- Top toasted French bread with tomato basil mixture and serve immediately.